Friday, February 10, 2017

Making the Golden Rule Work...



As time goes by, I realize that as a consumer I am not doing my due diligence to use social media to my advantage in gaining information about some of the brands I have supported through my activity as a consumer or potential customer.   So when posed with the question, which brands do you engage in that follow the golden rule, I found a good deal of difficulty in trying to identify at least one brand that I have consistently engaged to adequately respond.  I generally engage with corporate brands when I feel like they have wronged me, and look for a public acknowledgement that would solicit a response for resolution.   As storied on my Twitter feed, Verizon Wireless has been engaged the most.  

Then I realized that there is one brand that I have been engaging for years, and it may not be a traditional business, but it certainly needs to follow the golden rule to remain successful.   The brand is Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity.   Truth be told, I have a history with the organization.  I was an active member through my undergraduate life, currently advise a chapter, was the former chairperson of their Alumni Association, and currently sit as a regional governor for 42 chapters in the Northeast US.   However familiar I am, I make the conscious effort to use their social media platforms, mostly Facebook, to provide feedback to the organization as well as share their activities to active members, potential members, and music educators within my sphere of influence on social media.  

Defining the audience is fairly simple, Kappa Kappa Psi seeks to engage active members of chapters throughout the country.   However, their scope is broadening.   By promoting programs like the National Intercollegiate Band, which is open to all college/university band members – not just members of the fraternity – the organization is actually marketing to schools without chapters in an effort to expand its reach.   What was originally thought of as a narrow target, is actually much broader than what is originally seen.  


The social media posts for the organization generally ask for user engagement – this speaks to both making the posts not about the brand, but the consumer as well as knowing your target audience.   Posts like, “what is your chapter doing to celebrate our National Month of Musicianship?” or “are you looking to apply for our National Scholarship Programs?” lead the student to respond to the question with their activity, publicly share that post with their social circles, or ask questions if they are unfamiliar with the program.  For alumni or advisors, the push is made to share these posts so that your home chapter may engage with the post and then essentially, the program that is being referenced.   The posts are never celebrating the brand itself, but recognizing and honoring those that engage back with the brand.   It seems that celebrating student and chapter successes drive the media plan moving forward.  


As a former administrator on their social media accounts, I also saw the influx of messages that poured into our accounts after posts regarding our press releases or program announcements.  In recent years, the organization had to revoke a charter for a chapter because they were found in violation of our hazing policy.  Well, when word went public, so did the outcry.  People flooded our social media accounts looking for answers, wanting full disclosure about the events – asking for names and trying to place blame.   As an organization whose primary aim is to enhance student life through active participation, it was clear that responses to name names would not be in the best interest of the organization, nor could we protect the privacy of students involved in the investigation.   It should be noted that the events of the investigation never rose to a criminal level, it was still important that the organization protect the privacy of all involved as well as speak to the anti-hazing policies within the organization.    The official statement closed with, “Chartered in 1919, the Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity promotes the advancement of college and university bands through dedicated service and support to bands; comprehensive education; leadership opportunities; and recognition; for the benefit of its members and society. We remain committed to the advancement of college bands, and our thousands of members at more than 200 colleges and universities will continue to strive for the highest and work for greater bands on their own campuses and nationwide” (kkpsi.org, 2015).
I think the key in an organization’s success is not just living by the Golden Rule in social media situations, but to also ensure that the organization’s culture engages is internal stakeholders as well as external audiences in a manner that supports the brand message and attitude in a positive manner.   For instance, should Kappa Kappa Psi only responded to the charter revocation that spoke only in a way of a punitive message to that university, the general public may believe that hazing is a value at the core of the organization.   “Being transparent doesn’t mean you have to share everything about your organization, but the more honest insight you provide, the better” (Kerpen, p. 121, 2015).  By reinforcing the ideals of the organization’s value set and mission statement, the public can see how that chapter was the exception – not the rule. 



References:
Kappa Kappa Psi. (2015, March 5). Statement Concerning The Omega Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi. Retrieved from https://www.kkpsi.org/omega-chapter/

Kerpen, D. (2015). Likeable social media: how to delight your customers, create an irresistible brand, and be amazing on facebook, twitter, linkedin, instagram, pinterest, and more. New York: McGraw-Hill Education.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,

    Great take on the questions posed this week. I think Kappa Kapp Psi is considered a brand—while they may not be run like a traditional business and have an end goal of revenue, their social media platform is based on providing information, resources and a place for their audience to connect. I think the fact that their social media properties don’t have a “sales” motivation behind them, makes it even easier for them to engage and apply the golden rule.

    Your past experience as their social media administrator and the instance you accounted around revoking a charter for a chapter due to a violation of the hazing policy is a perfect example how to apply the golden rule during a “crisis” situation—I’m curious if anyone else in the group has any thoughts on this situation? I think Mike raised some great points that align with what we’re reading in our texts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also believe that Kappa Kappa Psi functions as a brand- to grow followers and fans with engaging content. With that, the fraternity needs to have in place their goals and strategy to grow members.

    With that goal, the same engagement rules apply:

    1 “Make it About Your Audience
    2  Cheer for Others
    3 Share Photos, Stories, and Emotion.
    4 Be a Community Builder.
    5 Make Shareable Posts. Consider posts that reinforce your overall message and brand, but are easy and exciting for non-members to share widely amongst their network.
    6 Distribute Relevant Knowledge. This is related to the above idea. Share articles, pictures, videos, memes, links, books, event notices, petitions, invitations… It doesn’t have to be your creation. By keeping your ear to the ground, you can become an early distributor of the content your followers care about most.
    7 Respond Immediately” (Innova Marketing, 2016)

    Lastly, the golden rule certainly does apply in a crisis mode and requires an authentic voice. While transparency is key, I would agree with Kerpen that this does not mean you need to air everything but you “should share insights into your company’s values and culture and encourage an honest discussion of the decisions you’ve made” (Kerpen, 2015, pg,121).

    Reference

    Innova Marketing. (2016, February 4). 14 Social Media Marketing Tips to Grow Greek Life | Innova Marketing. Retrieved from https://innovagreek.com/?p=64

    Kerpen, D. (2015). Likeable Social Media (2nd ed.) McGraw Hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having been involved in Greek life for almost 15 years, I can absolutely see how those rules of engagement are effective. The only thing that I might question is the rule about immediately responding. Many times, those who control the social media might be representatives of the organization, not professional social media managers. In that case, I'm wondering how the group should toe the line of making a timely response that is responsible to both the organization and the audience.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mike,

    You've provided a great example of how to deal with a crisis on social media through your explanation of Kappa Kappa Psi' violated hazing policy. I came across an article on HootSuite, "Social Media Crisis Management: How to Prepare and Execute a Plan" which I believe is a great reference as we proceed with our careers tackling social media. This article provides us with tips in order to control a crisis situation on social media platforms.

    Act Fast
    "28 percent of crises spread internationally within one hour and yet, it takes an average of 21 hours before companies are able to issue meaningful external communications to defend themselves" (Dawley, 2016). It is important that companies take advantage of real-time updates, tracking hashtags, comments on their platforms, etc., observing and detecting any out of the ordinary content that can harm a brand.

    "Let people have their say—but don’t argue with them" (Dawley, 2016).
    Keep comments on negative posts short and try to avoid back and forth communication (as it can spiral out of control). This will prove to a brand's following that they are transparent and willing to address the issue to the public. Remember: Never delete or ignore negative comments.

    Communicate Internally
    It is "crucial to prevent misinformation and the spread of rumors" (Dawley, 2016) so a brand should always keep their employees up to date on the crisis. Let them know how they should respond to the issue so they are on the same page.

    Reference
    Dawley, S. (2016, June 01). Social Media Crisis Management: How to Prepare and Execute a Plan. Retrieved February 11, 2017, from https://blog.hootsuite.com/social-media-crisis-management/

    ReplyDelete